Code of Practice for Handling Complaints
In this practice we take complaints very seriously and try to ensure that all patients are pleased with their experience of our services. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible.
Complaints made to the practice
- The person responsible for dealing with any complaints about the service is Sarah Cross.
- If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to his or her complaint and offer to refer him or her to Sarah Cross. The member of staff will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on. If we cannot arrange this within a reasonable period or if the patient does not wish to wait to discuss the matter, arrangements will be made for someone to deal with it.
- If the patient complains in writing the letter will be passed on immediately to Sarah Cross.
- If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will normally be referred to the dentist, unless the patient does not want this to happen.
- We will acknowledge the patient’s complaint including a copy of this Code of Practice. We will seek to investigate the complaint within the agreed response period of the complaint being received to explain the circumstances which led to the complaint. If we are unable to investigate the complaint within this agreed time period, we will notify the patient, giving reasons for the delay and a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
- We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing immediately after completing our investigation.
- Proper and comprehensive records are kept of any complaint received.
- Pennington Dental welcomes all complaints; any patient that makes a complaint will not be adversely treated due to having complained. If you do not wish to complain directly to the Practice you can address your complaint directly to the relevant body.
- Should a patient make a complaint or claim, we may need to provide information about the patient, and treatment they have received, to insurers, indemnifiers or legal advisers.
Complaining to NHS England
We hope that if you have a problem, you will use our practice complaints procedure. We believe this will give us the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong and an opportunity to improve our practice. This does not affect your right to approach the NHS England if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us or you are dissatisfied with the result of our investigation
- Should you wish to make a direct complaint to NHS England please contact:
NHS England Customer Support Centre, PO Box 16738, Redditch B97 9PT,
Telephone: 0300 311 2233 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm,
excluding English Bank Holidays)
- Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP
Telephone: 0345 015 4033
- Dental Complaints Service
2 Cherry Orchard Road, Croydon CR0 6BA
Telephone: 020 8253 0800
(Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm)
- General Dental Council
37 Wimpole Street, London W1G 8DQ
Telephone: 0845 222 4141 or 020 7887 3800